March 4, 2012
MADISON, Wis. – The Wisconsin men’s tennis (5-4, 0-1) team finished off an undefeated weekend with a 6-1 victory over Northern Illinois Sunday at the Nielsen tennis stadium.
Wisconsin, which shutout Green Bay on Saturday, swept doubles for the fourth time this season. Quinton Vega and Alexander Kostanov won their first match as a doubles pair with an 8-4 victory over Maximilian Phillips and Mikahil Titov.
“I think the guys have gained a lot of momentum, and they should feel really confident where we are right now in our season,” Wisconsin head coach Greg Van Emburgh said. “We have basically all but one match left in the Big Ten and four non-conference matches so we just want to make sure we take it one match at a time.”
Fredrik Ask and Billy Bertha got back on track after being upset by Green Bay yesterday by defeating Dor Amir and Axel Lagerlof 9-8 (7-1) to clinch the doubles point for the Badgers.
At No. 3 doubles Rod Carey and Alex Robles won the last three games to finish off Roman Turtygin and Frederic Cadieux, 8-4, and get the sweep for UW.
In singles, Carey was the first to finish for Wisconsin with a 6-3, 6-3 victory over Turtygin.
Andy Quirk, who stepped into the singles lineup because Petr Satral was out with an injury, took advantage of the opportunity and earned a 6-2, 6-1 victory at No. 6 singles over Phillips.
“I just played a really solid match,” Quirk said. “I came out and just made a lot of balls and broke the guy down. I served quite well, also.”
Bertha clinched the match for the Badgers with a 6-4, 6-3 victory over Cadieux.
At No. 2 singles Kostanov won the first set, 7-6 (7-1), then dropped the second set, 6-1. Since the dual was already decided the match went into a match tiebreaker which Kostanov won, 10-7, over Lagerlof.
It also took Ask three sets to earn a victory. He dropped the first set 6-4, but dominated the second and third sets, winning 6-1, 6-1.
Vega played No. 5 singles for the first time, but was unable to get the victory over Titov, 6-2, 7-5.
The Badgers travel to Fresno, Calif., next weekend to face Fresno State and Idaho.
Wisconsin 6 Northern Illinois 1
1) Fredrik Ask/Billy Bertha (UW) def. Dor Amir/Axel Lagerlof (NIU): 9-8 (7-1)
2) Quinton Vega/Alexander Kostanov (UW) def. Maximilian Phillips/Mikahil Titov (NIU): 8-4
3) Rod Carey/Alex Robles (UW) def. Roman Turtygin/Frederic Cadieux (NIU): 8-4
Order of finish: 2, 1, 3
1) Fredrik Ask (UW) def. Dor Amir (NIU): 3-6, 6-1, 6-1
2) Alexander Kostanov (UW) def. Axel Lagerlof (NIU): 7-6 (7-1), 1-6, 10-7
3) Rod Carey (UW) def. Roman Turtygin (NIU): 6-3, 6-3
4) Billy Bertha (UW) def. Frederic Cadieux (NIU): 6-4, 6-3
5) Mikhail Titov (NIU) def. Quinton Vega (UW): 6-2, 7-5
6) Andy Quirk (UW) def. Maximilian Phillips (NIU): 6-2, 6-1
Order of finish: 3, 6, 4, 2, 1, 5