Feb. 20, 2013
PDF Box Score
MADISON, Wis. – No. 75 Wisconsin continued its dominance at Nielsen Tennis Stadium on Wednesday night with a 4-3 defeat of rival Marquette.
After a 10-day break, the Badgers (6-1) were eager to get back to the court for doubles play against Marquette (5-3). With a disappointing doubles loss in their last match, Wisconsin had its eye set on the win.
In their first time playing together this year, Alexander Kostanov and Jakhongir Jalalov got off to a close start at the No. 2 spot. After some early back-and-forth, the duo was able to pull ahead and grab the 8-3 win over Logon Collins and Cameron Tehrani.
At the No. 1 spot, Billy Bertha and Oskar Wikberg also faced a close start to the match, but were unable to pull ahead and fell 4-8.
With the first two matches split, the doubles point came down to the No. 3 pairing of Petr Satral and Alexander Kokorev. In yet another tight match, the Badgers used the split matches to their advantage and pulled ahead when it mattered most, taking their match 8-5 over David Packowitz and Gleb Sklyr, giving the Badgers the doubles point.
Marquette didn’t stay behind for long, claiming the first singles point at the No. 1 spot with a 6-2, 6-4 defeat of Bertha. At the No. 6 court Kokorev was the next to finish, giving the Badgers a 2-1 lead over the Golden Eagles with a 6-3, 6-4 victory. Jalalov wasn’t far behind at the No. 5 spot, taking Sklyr 6-0, 6-4.
Kostanov clinched the win for Wisconsin in a thrilling three-set match. Despite keeping momentum on his side for much of his 6-4 first set victory, Kostanov fell in a tough 0-6 second set. Not ready to give up, Kostanov came back strong in a 6-2 third set win over Cameron Tehrani to seal the Badger victory.
The Golden Eagles didn’t let the defeat stop them and came back to take the final two points of the match. Despite dominating in a 6-3 first set victory, Satral couldn’t hold on and fell 6-7 (2-7), 3-10 to Collins. Wikberg was the last to finish in a hard-fought 6-7 (7-9), 6-1, 6-7 (5-7) loss to Vukasin Teofanovic.
The Badgers will be back on the court at Nielsen Tennis Stadium on Saturday to face No. 40 Minnesota at noon. The match marks the first Big Ten Conference dual for Wisconsin this season.
WISCONSIN 4 MARQUETTE 3
1) Dan Mamalat/Vukasin Teofanovic (MU ) def. Billy Bertha/Oskar Wikberg (WIS): 8-4
2) Jakhongir Jalalov/Alexander Kokorev (WIS) def. Logon Collins/Cameron Tehrani (MU): 8-3
3) Petr Satral/Alexander Kostanov (WIS) vs. David Packowitz/Gleb Sklyr (MU): 8-5
Order of Finish: 2, 1, 3
1) Dan Mamalat (MU) def. Billy Bertha (WIS): 6-2, 6-4
2) Vukasin Teofanovic (MU) def. Oskar Wikberg (WIS): 7-6 (9-7), 1-6, 7-6 (7-5)
3) Logon Collins (MU) def. Petr Satral (WIS): 3-6, 7-6 (7-2), 10-3
4) Alexander Kostanov (WIS) vs. Cameron Tehrani (MU): 6-4, 0-6, 6-2
5) Jakhongir Jalalov (WIS) def. Gleb Sklyr (MU): 6-0, 6-4
6) Alexander Kokorev (WIS) def. Jose Varela Hernani (MU): 6-3, 6-4
Order of Finish: 1, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2