Feb. 19, 2012
MADISON, Wis. – An upset win at No. 2 doubles was not enough to propel the Wisconsin men’s tennis team to victory Sunday as the Badgers were defeated by No. 29 Georgia Tech, 5-2.
The loss drops the Badgers to 2-3 on the season, though all three losses have come against ranked opponents. Georgia Tech is now 5-5 this year.
Like Saturday’s matchup against Clemson, UW won the doubles point against Georgia Tech but was unable to capitalize on the early lead.
The Badgers swept doubles play to start the match off on a positive note.
The first win came at No. 1 doubles thanks to Fredrik Ask and Billy Bertha’s victory over Georgia Tech’s Kevin King and Juan Spir, the No. 2 doubles team in the country. It was the biggest win of the season for Ask and Bertha as they stretched their unbeaten streak to five and set the tone for the rest of the doubles matches.
Rod Carey and Alex Robles clinched the doubles point for the Badgers with their 8-3 victory over Dusan Miljevic and Eduardo Segura at No. 3 doubles for their first doubles win as a pair this season. Alexander Kostanov and Petr Satral completed the sweep for the Badgers at No. 2 doubles with an 8-6 win over Juan Mellan and Vikram Hundal.
Georgia Tech responded by winning No. 1, No, 2, No. 3 and No. 4 singles to clinch the match. Carey stopped the bleeding for the Badgers with a 2-6, 7-5, 1-0 (10-3) victory against Segura, but it was too late. It would be the lone singles victory for UW on the day.
At No. 6 singles Quinton Vega dropped his match to Sebastian Lopez 4-6, 7-6 (7-3), 1-0 (10-5).
The Badgers are back in action this Wednesday against Marquette at 6 p.m. in the Nielsen Tennis Stadium.
#29 Georgia Tech 5 Wisconsin 2
1. Fredrik Ask/Billy Bertha (WIS) def. #2 Kevin King/Juan Spir (GT) 8-4
2. Alexander Kostanov/Petr Satral (WIS) def. Juan Melian/Vikram Hundal (GT) 8-6
3. Rod Carey/Alex Robles (WIS) def. Dusan Miljevic/Eduardo Segura (GT) 8-3
Order of Finish: 1,3,2
1. #9 Kevin King (GT) def. Fredrik Ask (WIS) 6-2, 6-1
2. Juan Spir (GT) def. Alexander Kostanov (WIS) 7-6 (12-10), 6-4
3. Juan Melian (GT) def. Petr Satral (WIS) 4-6, 6-4, 6-0
4. Dusan Miljevic (GT) def. Billy Bertha (WIS) 6-3, 6-4
5. Rod Carey (WIS) def. Eduardo Segura (GT) 2-6, 7-5, 1-0 (10-3)
6. Sebastian Lopez (GT) def. Quinton Vega (WIS) 4-6, 7-6 (7-3), 1-0 (10-5)
Order of Finish: 1,2,3,4,5,6