Feb. 16, 2011
• Complete Results
MADISON, Wis. -- The Wisconsin men's tennis team got back on track on Wednesday night defeating in-state rival Marquette, 6-1. The Badgers broke their four-match losing streak with the win to bring their record to 3-4, 0-1 Big Ten.
Petr Satral and Alexander Teppert teamed up in the No. 2 doubles spot where the two earned Wisconsin's first win of the night. After the Golden Eagles grabbed the 8-4 win in the No. 3 slot Satral and Teppert fought back with a 8-5 win to even up the doubles results.
Marek Michalicka and Billy Bertha clinched the doubles point for Wisconsin in a close 8-6 win over Jose Maneul Munoz and Jonathan Schwerin. The No. 43-ranked Badger duo brings their unblemished record in the No. 1 doubles spot to 7-0 on the season.
With the momentum on Wisconsin's side, Rod Carey came out strong in the No. 5 singles spot. Carey quickly defeated Marquette's Jonathan Schwerin, 6-0, 6-1, to put the Badgers ahead, 2-0.
Michalicka followed suite in the No. 1 singles slot where he defeated Jose Carlos Crowley, 6-4, 6-1. The win brings Michalicka's record to a team-high 5-1 this season.
Billy Bertha then finalized the Wisconsin match win as he defeated the Golden Eagles' Logon Collins in the No. 4 spot, 6-4, 6-3.
With the match decided, Wisconsin finished up the night earning two more wins in the Nos. 6 and 3 spots. The only Badger loss came in the No. 2 position where Ricardo Martin retired in the second set.
Wisconsin will take a break before hosting UIC and No. 41 Nebraska next week. The Badgers will take on UIC on Wednesday, Feb. 23 at 3:30 p.m., and Nebraska on Saturday, Feb. 26 at noon (CT).
Tennis Match Results
Feb 16, 2011 at MADISON, Wis.
(Nielsen Tennis Stadium)
#40 Wisconsin 6, Marquette 1
1. Marek Michalicka (WIS) def. Jose Carlos Crowley (MU) 6-4, 6-1
2. Dan Mamalat (MU) def. Ricardo Martin (WIS) 7-6, retired
3. Petr Satral (WIS) def. Jose Maneul Munoz (MU) 3-6, 6-4, 6-3
4. Billy Bertha (WIS) def. Logon Collins (MU) 6-4, 6-3
5. Rodney Carey (WIS) def. Jonathan Schwerin (MU) 6-0, 6-1
6. Alex Robles (WIS) def. Otavio Perim (MU) 6-4, 6-4
1. #43 Marek Michalicka/Billy Bertha (WIS) def. Jose Maneul Munoz/Jonathan Schwerin (MU) 8-6
2. Petr Satral/Alexander Teppert (WIS) def. Jose Carlos Crowley/Dan Mamalat (MU) 8-5
3. Otavio Perim/Thibault Troude (MU) def. Rodney Carey/Ricardo Martin (WIS) 8-4
Wisconsin 2-3, 0-1; National ranking #40
Order of finish: Doubles (3,2,1); Singles (5,1,4,6,2,3)
UW Athletic Communications