Feb. 13, 2011
• Complete Results
MADISON, Wis. -- The Wisconsin men’s tennis team fell in its fourth straight match this weekend playing host to No. 27 Minnesota on Sunday. The Border Battle rival proved to be too much for the No. 39th-ranked Badgers as both teams opened Big Ten Conference play in the 5-2 match.
Wisconsin (2-4, 0-1) came out strong in doubles play as senior captain Marek Michalicka and Billy Bertha easily won their match over Minnesota’s Philip Arndt and Sebastian Gallego, 8-4. The win was the pair’s six win in the No. 1 doubles position as they are undefeated so far this season.
Ricardo Martin and Rod Carey were able to claim the doubles point for the Badgers in their close 8-7 win over the Gopher duo of Julian Dehn and Brendan Ruddock. This was Martin and Carey’s fourth match in the No. 3 position, bringing their record to 3-1 in the spot and 3-3 overall.
The Badgers fell in two quick matches in singles play in the No. 2 and 6 spots, but Michalicka showed his senior leadership coming back for Wisconsin’s first singles win. Michalicka easily won the first set, 6-4, over Minnesota’s Rok Bonin, but the second set was much closer as Michalicka came out with the 7-5 win.
Michalicka’s win tied the match up with a 2-2 score as the remaining three matches went to third sets.
Despite the close matches, Wisconsin was not able to come out with another win as the Gophers won the final three matches to earn the win. Ruddock rallied to top UW freshman Carey 4-6, 6-2, 6-4 and then Arndt clinched the match for the Gophers with a 6-1, 4-6, 6-3 victory against Billy Bertha. Minnesota’s Wernet finished the day with a thrilling 7-5, 5-7, 6-4 victory against Petr Satral.
Wisconsin looks to break its four match losing streak this week playing host to in-state rival Marquette on Wednesday, Feb. 16, at 6 p.m.
Tennis Match Results
Feb 13, 2011 at MADISON, Wis.
(Nielsen Tennis Stadium)
#27 Minnesota 5, #39 Wisconsin 2
1. Marek Michalicka (WIS) def. Rok Bonin (MINN) 6-4, 7-5
2. Sebastian Gallego (MINN) def. Ricardo Martin (WIS) 6-2, 6-1
3. Tobias Wernet (MINN) def. Petr Satral (WIS) 7-5, 5-7, 6-4
4. Phillip Arndt (MINN) def. Billy Bertha (WIS) 6-1, 4-6, 6-3
5. Brendan Ruddock (MINN) def. Rodney Carey (WIS) 4-6, 6-2, 6-4
6. Julian Dehn (MINN) def. Alex Robles (WIS) 6-4, 6-1
1. Marek Michalicka/Billy Bertha (WIS) def. Phillip Arndt/Sebastian Gallego (MINN) 8-4
2. Tobias Wernet/Rok Bonin (MINN) def. Petr Satral/Fredrik Ask (WIS) 8-6
3. Rodney Carey/Ricardo Martin (WIS) def. Julian Dehn/Brendan Ruddock (MINN) 8-7
Minnesota 4-1; National ranking #27
Wisconsin 2-3; National ranking #39
Order of finish: Doubles (1,3,2); Singles (2,6,1,5,4,3)
UW Athletic Communications