Feb. 10, 2012
MADISON, Wis. – The Wisconsin men’s tennis team (2-1, 0-0) dropped its first match of the season, 7-0, to No. 30 Notre Dame (7-3, 0-0) Friday afternoon in South Bend, Ind.
It was the Badgers' first road trip of the season, and they were unable to get off to a quick start at the Eck Tennis Pavilion. UW lost the doubles point after dropping both No. 2 and No. 3 doubles by scores of 8-5.
Junior Billy Bertha and sophomore Fredrik Ask were the only Badgers able to earn a victory after defeating Casey Watt and Niall Fitzgerald, 9-8 (7-5), at No. 1 doubles. The win preserved their unblemished doubles record and stretched their win total to three.
In singles, Notre Dame quickly closed out the match after earning wins at No. 5, No. 6 and No. 1 singles.
Bertha was the only Badger able to push his match into an extra set, but he was unable to pull out the win after dropping the match tiebreaker, 11-9.
The Badgers will look to get back on track next Friday when they stay on the road with matches at No. 68 Clemson (Feb. 18) and No. 29 Georgia Tech (Feb. 19).
#30 Notre Dame 7 Wisconsin 0
1) Fredrik Ask/Billy Bertha (WIS) def. Casey Watt/Niall Fitzgerald (ND): 9-8 (7-5)
2) Greg Andrews/Spencer Talmadge (ND) def. Quinton Vega/Rod Carey (WIS): 8-5
3) Sam Keeton/Billy Pecor (ND) def. Alexander Kostanov/Petr Satral (WIS): 8-5
Order of finish: 3, 2, 1
1) Casey Watt (ND) def. Alexander Kostanov (WIS): 6-3, 6-4
2) Greg Andrews (ND) def. Fredrik Ask (WIS): 6-4, 6-4
3) # 74 Sam Keeton (ND) def. Petr Satral (WIS): 7-6 (7-4), 6-4
4) Niall Fitzgerald (ND) def. Billy Bertha (WIS): 4-6, 6-2, 1-0 (11-9)
5) Blas Moros (ND) def. Rod Carey (WIS): 6-1, 6-3
6) Michael Moore (ND) def. Quinton Vega (WIS): 6-2, 6-2
Order of finish: 5, 1, 6, 3, 4, 2