Feb. 2, 2013
PDF: UIC Box Score UWW Box Score
MADISON, Wis. – Wisconsin continued its domination at Nielsen Tennis Stadium on Saturday with a 4-0 victory over University of Illinois at Chicago and a 7-0 win over the University of Wisconsin-Whitewater.
The Badgers swiftly defeated UIC, 2-0, in doubles play to start off the day Saturday. The No. 2 doubles pairing of Petr Satral and Alexander Kostanov continued their strong play together in an 8-2 win over Rahul Kamath and Alan Reifer. At the No. 1 spot, Billy Bertha and Oskar Wikberg paired up for the first time to clinch Wisconsin’s doubles victory with an 8-3 defeat of Christopher Cole and Alexander Raa.
In his third consecutive match at the No. 3 singles spot, Satral showed his confidence with a 6-0, 6-1 win over Alan Reifer. Next to finish was Wikberg at the No. 2 spot, defeating Raa 6-2, 6-0. The Badgers tallied the 4-0 win with Alexander Kokorev’s 6-2, 6-2 victory over Gautham Oroskar at the No. 6 spot. Following Kokorev’s victory, play was called to ensure time for the afternoon’s second match.
After a break, the Badgers were back on the court to face Whitewater in doubles play. Wisconsin battled in three close matches, but came away with a 3-0 sweep of the Warhawks. At the No. 3 spot Jakhongir Jalalov and Kokorev were the first to finish in their 8-4 victory over Andrew Bayliss and Cam Laktash. The No. 1 pair Bertha and Wikberg quickly followed in an 8-2 match against Byron Balkin and Mitch Osborne to solidify Wisconsin’s doubles victory.
Wisconsin got off to a strong start in singles play, as all six Badgers took their first set. At the No. 4 spot Kostanov was the first to finish in a strong 6-1, 6-0 defeat of Jake Humphreys. Satral was close behind, taking his match 6-2, 6-0 against Andy McGlashen at the No. 3 spot. Freshman Frederik Strabo made his Badger debut at the No. 6 spot, clinching the Wisconsin win with his 6-4, 6-1 victory over Cam Laktash. Bertha, Jalalov and Wikberg came away with a win in their matches as well, giving the Badgers the 7-0 sweep.
Wisconsin continues its homestand next weekend with two matches at Nielsen Tennis Stadium. The Badgers face UC-Irvine on Friday at 3 p.m. and Clemson on Sunday at 11 a.m.
WISCONSIN 4 UIC 0
1) Billy Bertha/Oskar Wikberg (WIS) vs. Christopher Cole/Alexander Raa (UIC): 8-3
2) Petr Satral/Alexander Kostanov (WIS) def. Rahul Kamath/Alan Reifer (UIC): 8-2
3) Jakhongir Jalalov/Alexander Kokorev (WIS) vs. Isaac Lloveras/Gautham Oroskar (UIC): 2-7 (Did not finish)
Order of Finish: 2, 1
1) Billy Bertha (WIS) vs. Isaac Lloveras (UIC): 6-3, 3-1 (Did not finish)
2) Oskar Wikberg (WIS) def. Alexander Raa (UIC): 6-2, 6-0
3) Petr Satral (WIS) def. Alan Reifer (UIC): 6-0, 6-1
4) Alexander Kostanov (WIS) vs. Christopher Cole (UIC): 6-1, 4-1 (Did not finish)
5) Jakhongir Jalalov (WIS) vs. Rahul Kamath (UIC): 6-3, 0-1 (Did not finish)
6) Alexander Kokorev (WIS) def. Gautham Oroskar (UIC): 6-2, 6-2
Order of Finish: 3, 2, 6
WISCONSIN 7 UNIVERSITY OF WISCONSIN-WHITEWATER 0
1) Billy Bertha/Oskar Wikberg (WIS) def. Byron Balkin/Mitch Osborne (UWW): 8-2
2) Petr Satral/Alex Kostanov (WIS) def. Andy McGlashen/Ben Shklyar (UWW): 8-4
3) Jakhongir Jalalov/Alexander Kokorev (WIS) def. Andrew Bayliss/Cam Laktash (UWW): 8-4
Order of Finish: 3, 1, 2
1) Billy Bertha (WIS) def. Ben Shklyar (UWW): 6-2, 6-0
2) Oskar Wikberg (WIS) def. Byron Balkin (UWW): 6-3, 6-3
3) Petr Satral (WIS) def. Andy McGlashen (UWW): 6-2, 6-0
4) Alexander Kostanov (WIS) def. Jake Humphreys (UWW): 6-0, 6-1
5) Jakhongir Jalalov (WIS) def. Andrew Bayliss (UWW): 6-3, 6-2
6) Frederik Strabo (WIS) def. Cam Laktash (UWW): 6-4, 6-1
Order of Finish: 4, 3, 6, 2, 1, 5