Jan. 26, 2013
PDF: SIU Box Score UMKC Box Score
MADISON, Wis. - The Badgers started their spring season at Nielsen Tennis Stadium on Saturday with a 6-1 win over Southern Illinois University and a 7-0 victory over University of Missouri-Kansas City.
Wisconsin opened the day with a sweep in doubles play against Southern Illinois. At the No. 3 spot, Oskar Wikberg and Jakhongir Jalalov were the first to finish in an 8-2 victory over Jorge Cavero and Szymon Opieczonek. Billy Bertha and Alex Robles, playing at the No. 1 spot, continued the success with an 8-5 win over Southern Illinois' Martijn Admiraal and Brandon Florez to secure Wisconsin's first point of the day.
The Badgers continued to impress during singles play as the team went 5-1 against the Salukis. Playing at the No. 2 spot, Wikberg was the first to finish in a dominating 6-1, 6-1 win over Badr Cherradi. Next up was Jalalov, who shut out Opieczonek in a quick 6-0, 6-0 set. Robles and Kostanov went on to win their matches in two sets, clinching Wisconsin's victory.
Last to finish their matches were Satral and Bertha, who fought hard in tiebreak sets. After getting off to a slow 3-6 start, Satral rallied back to go 6-1 in the second set. In a tight 10-8 tiebreaker, Satral came away with the victory. Bertha was not so lucky, falling 6-4, 5-7, 10-7 to Florez.
After a quick break, the Badgers were back on the court to face the UMKC. No. 2 pair Satral and Kostanov came out strong with an 8-1 win over Jai Grewal and Tomas Patino before Jalalov and Wikberg solidified Wisconsin's doubles victory in an 8-5 win over Tim Akhmedov and Abdul Alawadhi.
Wisconsin dominated its singles matches with no tiebreak sets played against UMKC. No. 6 Jalalov was the first to finish, maintaining his undefeated day with a 6-1, 6-0 win over Grewal. Wikberg struggled early on in his match in a close 6-4 first set, before coming back strong in a 6-2 second set against Patino. Robles, Bertha and Satral finished out the day with strong wins, giving the Badgers a 7-0 final mark against UMKC.
Wisconsin is back in action next Saturday with a doubleheader against UIC and UW-Whitewater beginning at noon at the Nielsen Tennis Stadium.
WISCONSIN 6 SOUTHERN ILLINOIS 1
1) Billy Bertha/Alex Robles (WIS) def. Martijn Admiraal/Brandon Florez (SIU): 8-5
2) Petr Satral/Alexander Kostanov (WIS) vs. Badr Cherradi/Jonny Rigby (SIU): 7-3 (Did not finish)
3) Jakhongir Jalalov/Oskar Wikberg (WIS) def. Jorge Cavero/Szymon Opieczonek (SIU): 8-2
Order of Finish: 3, 1, 2
1) Brandon Florez (SIU) def. Billy Bertha (WIS): 6-4, 5-7, 10-7
2) Oskar Wikberg (WIS) def. Badr Cherradi (SIU): 6-1, 6-1
3) Petr Satral (WIS) def. Jorge Cavero (SIU): 3-6, 6-1, 10-8
4) Alex Robles (WIS) def. Rafael Caudrillero (SIU): 6-1, 6-1
5) Alexander Kostanov (WIS) def. Jonny Rigby (SIU): 6-3, 6-2
6) Jakhongir Jalalov (WIS) def. Szymon Opieczonek (SIU): 6-0, 6-0
Order of Finish: 2, 6, 4, 5, 3, 1
WISCONSIN 7 UMKC 0
1) Billy Bertha/Alex Robles (WIS) vs. Nino Hasandedic/David Heckler (UMKC): 7-7 (Did not finish)
2) Petr Satral/Alexander Kostanov (WIS) def. Jai Grewal/Tomas Patino (UMKC): 8-1
3) Jakhongir Jalalov/Oskar Wikberg (WIS) def. Tim Akhmedov/Abdul Alawadhi (UMKC): 8-5
Order of Finish: 2, 3
1) Billy Bertha (WIS) def. Nino Hasandedic (UMKC): 6-2, 6-3
2) Oskar Wikberg (WIS) def. Tomas Patino (UMKC): 6-4, 6-2
3) Petr Satral (WIS) def. Daniil Ivanov (UMKC): 7-5, 6-2
4) Alex Robles (WIS) def. David Heckler (UMKC): 6-2, 6-4
5) Alexander Kostanov (WIS) def. Conner Edwards (UMKC): 6-1, 6-2
6) Jakhongir Jalalov (WIS) def. Jai Grewal (UMKC): 6-1, 6-0
Order of Finish: 6, 5, 2, 4, 1, 3