UW Health Sports Medicine 

Weathering the Storm: Badgers blank South Florida to remain unbeaten

Game Photo
Wisconsin Wisconsin 2, South Florida 0
Corbett Soccer Stadium • Tampa, Fla. • Attendance: XXX

Final Stats | Final Stats Get Acrobat Reader


1st 2nd Final
1 1 2
South Florida
0 0 0
WIS 07:23 Nick Janus (Anders Kristensen, Tomislav Zadro)
WIS 52:43 Paul Yonga (Tomislav Zadro)
Goalkeepers Min GA Sv
WIS Beyers (3-0-1) 90:00 0 1
USF Muhammad (1-1-1) 90:00 2 1
Stats at a Glance USF WIS
Shots 11 4
Shots on Goal 1 3
Saves 1 1
Offsides 0 2
Corner Kicks 6 3
Yellow Cards 0 0
Red Cards 0 0
Wisconsin Men's Soccer Online
Badgers on Facebook
@BadgerWSoccer on Twitter
U.S. Cellular Text Alerts | Mobile UW App
InsideBadgerSports.com Small Video Graphic | Photos

Sept. 12, 2013

TAMPA, Fla. – After enduring a two-hour delay due to inclement weather, it was the Wisconsin men’s soccer team that brought the thunder to the University of South Florida, blanking the Bulls, 2-0, at Corbett Stadium on Thursday.

“This was a quality win for us against a solid NCAA tournament team,” UW head coach John Trask said. “The fact that we were able to get a goal early helped but we executed our game plan well and I couldn’t be prouder of our guys for the effort they showed out there tonight.”

The Badgers (3-0-1) were outshot by South Florida, 11-4, but tallied a pair of scores on just three shots on goal. 

Fast Facts
• Badgers earn first shutout of 2013
• UW remains unbeaten, moves to 1-0-1 on road
• Game delayed 2+ hours due to inclement weather

Nick Janus struck first for the Badgers, earning his first goal of the season in the eighth minute of action.

The senior collected the ball near the left corner of the box and played it over South Florida keeper Brentton Muhammad, finishing far post.

Just after the intermission, Yonga tallied his first score of the season on a set piece from Zadro, extending the Badgers’ lead to 2-0.

Following a South Florida (1-1-2) foul just outside the right side of the box, Zadro set up for a free kick, sniping the ball into the box and finding Yonga who headed it in from just five yards out.

After taking the two-goal lead, Wisconsin increased its physicality on both ends of the field and were able to fight off multiple attacks from the Bulls.

“The fact that we were able to sustain a lead once we got it really shows me we are moving in the right direction on the defensive side of things,” Trask added. “We put our foot on the gas and we kept it there for the entire 90 minutes.

“That’s what will need to be done throughout the season against quality teams like South Florida.”

The Bulls, who earned a bid to the 2012 NCAA Tournament, saw multiple opportunities to cut into UW’s lead but a strong back line and a heady defense maintained the shutout through the final horn.

The match, which was scheduled to begin at 6:30 p.m. CT was delayed on two different occasions due to lightning strikes and heavy rain in the area. The match officially kicked off at 8:45 p.m. CT, just as the rain began to subside.

The Badgers travel to Fort Meyers, Fla., on Saturday to battle Florida Gulf Coast. Kickoff is set for 7 p.m. CT.

Men's Soccer vs Marquette
  • Loading Tweets...
    1 second ago