UW Health Sports Medicine 

Strong defense earns Badgers a 1-1 draw with No. 13 Georgetown

 Wisconsin 1, #13 Georgetown 1 (2OT)
McClimon Memorial Track/Soccer Complex • Madison, Wis. 
Game Photo

1st 2nd OT 2OT Final
1 0 0 0 1
 #13 Georgetown
0 1 0 0 1
Final Stats  |  Final Stats Get     Acrobat  Reader
• Attendance: 632
WIS 26:32 Paul Yonga (AJ Cochran)
GU 67:24 Ian Christianson (unassisted)
 Goalkeepers Min GA Sv
WIS Rau (1-2-2) 110:00 1 4
NU Gomez (5-0-1) 110:00 1 4
 Stats at a Glance WIS GU
 Shots 15 17
 Shots on Goal 5 5
 Saves 4 4
 Offsides 3 1
 Corner Kicks 5 4
 Yellow Cards 3 1
 Red Cards 0 0
 Wisconsin Men's Soccer Online
Men's Soccer Blog   |  Badgers on Facebook
@BadgerMSoccer on Twitter
U.S. Cellular Text Alerts  |  Mobile UW App
InsideBadgerSports.com Small Video Graphic  |  Photos
• Record Book Get    Acrobat  Reader
Get Your Tickets Today!

Final Stats  |  Final Stats Get     Acrobat  Reader

MADISON, Wis. -- Not even 110 minutes could separate the Badgers (1-2-2) and the Hoyas (5-0-1), as the two teams played to a 1-1 draw on Sunday afternoon at the McClimon Memorial Soccer Complex in Madison, Wis.

"They're a good team," said Wisconsin head coach John Trask. "We really battled them, and the game really could have gone either way."

Coming off a disappointing loss to FIU on Friday night, Wisconsin came out firing early, capitalizing on a corner kick 26 minutes into the game.

Junior Chris Prince played the cross from the right corner for the Badgers. Nobody was able to control the initial cross, and the ball trickled to AJ Cochran right in the middle of the box. He played it backward to Paul Yonga, who let loose a blast from just inside the top of the box that found the center of the net to give the Badgers a 1-0 lead.

The Hoyas responded to the early Badger goal with a ferocious offensive attack of their own, finally getting on the scoreboard in the 67th minute.

After a Badger foul in the box, Ian Christianson took the penalty kick for the Hoyas. Wisconsin keeper Chase Rau played the shot perfectly, diving to his right to block Christianson's attempt. Unfortunately, the ball caromed off Rau's hands and back to Christianson, who found the back of the net on his second try.

The equalizer set up a thrilling finish between the two teams, who each had close calls in the two overtime periods. Georgetown's Gabe Padilla hammered his shot from the middle of the Badger box over the top of the goal for the Hoyas. For the Badgers, after Georgetown keeper Tomas Gomez couldn't hang on to a Badger shot, Chris Prince got his foot on the rebound, but missed his shot just right of goal.

The Badgers' switch to a four-back formation seemed to catch Georgetown off guard early in the match, as the possession battle was won by UW for the first minutes of the game, and Georgetown was unable to muster any scoring chances beyond Andy Riemer's shot that hit the post just five minutes into the match.

The solid defensive effort was appreciated by Trask, who plans to stick with the four-back formation for the rest of the season.

"No question we'll stay with four back," Trask said. "It gives us a better chance to defend properly."

Seniors Jerry Maddi and Kyle McCrudden joined the starting lineup, and Trask liked what he saw.

"The senior play from Maddi and McCrudden to start the game really set a tone for the team and gave us a chance to win this game. They competed from the get-go, so in that respect I was very happy."

McCrudden was just one of the players on Wisconsin's back line who made life difficult for Georgetown's freshman star, Brandon Allen. After being named College Soccer News' national player of the week last week, Allen was shut out by the Badger defense and mustered just two shots.

The Badgers will be back in action on Thursday, when they travel to Western Illinois for a 5 p.m. game. 

Men's Soccer vs Marquette
  • Loading Tweets...
    1 second ago