Dec. 3, 2010
MADISON, Wis. -- The Wisconsin football team announced its award winners Friday night at the Wisconsin Football Awards Show at the Kohl Center. Among the honors handed out were Team MVP, shared by quarterback Scott Tolzien and defensive end J.J. Watt, Rookie of the Year to running back James White and the Ivan B. Williamson Scholastic Award to linebacker Culmer St. Jean.
As voted on by fans at UWBadgers.com, David Gilreath’s 97-yard kickoff return for a touchdown to open the Badgers’ win over No. 1 Ohio State wan Play of the Year honors. Gilreath was also named Special Team Player of the Year.
The Scout Team Offensive and Defensive Player of the Year awards went to offensive lineman Dallas Lewallen and defensive lineman Warren Herring, respectively. Right guard Kevin Zeitler received the Badger Power Award, given to the player who consistently performs at a high level in all aspects of strength and conditioning.
UW’s three senior offensive linemen, Gabe Carimi, John Moffitt and Bill Nagy, were named the Wayne Souza Coaches Appreciation Award winners. On the defensive side of the ball, linebacker Blake Sorensen and cornerback Niles Brinkley won the Jay Seiler Coaches Appreciation Award. Those awards are presented annually to the offensive and defensive players who have contributed to the team’s success to the best of their abilities. It is based upon improvement, attitude and willingness to help the program in all areas.
Tight end Lance Kendricks and fullback Bradie Ewing won the Tom Wiesner Award, given annually to a Wisconsin-born student-athlete whose loyalty, hard work, spirit and dedication are unselfishly directed to the success of the team. The award is given in memory of Wiesner, a Wisconsin football letterwinner (1958-60).
Also honored was facilities director Barry Fox. He received the Captains Cup, which is presented annually to an individual, other than a player or coach, who has shown tremendous dedication and unselfish commitment toward the betterment of the football program. The recipient is selected by the head coach and team captains.
2010 Badger Football Award Winners
• Team MVP – J.J. Watt, Scott Tolzien
• Rookie of the Year – James White
• Special Teams MVP – David Gilreath
• Play of the Year (fan vote) – Gilreath’s 97-yard Kickoff return for a TD vs. Ohio State
• Wayne Souza Coaches Appreciation (Offense) – Gabe Carimi, John Moffitt, Bill Nagy
• Jay Seiler Coaches’ Appreciation (Defense) – Blake Sorensen, Niles Brinkley
• Ivan B. Williamson Scholastic – Culmer St. Jean
• Badger Power – Kevin Zeitler
• Tom Wiesner – Lance Kendricks, Bradie Ewing
• Scout Team Offense – Dallas Lewallen
• Scout Team Deffense – Warren Herring
• The Captains’ Cup – Barry Fox