Aug. 2, 2012
MADISON, Wis. -- After establishing himself last season as both a reliable target at wide receiver and an outstanding returner, Wisconsin junior Jared Abbrederis has been named to the watch list for the Paul Hornung Award.
The award, in its third season, is presented to the most versatile player in college football.
Abbrederis returns for his junior season after tallying the fifth-most receiving yards in school history, while also earning consensus honorable-mention All-Big Ten honors in 2011.
The former walk-on caught 55 passes -- including eight touchdowns -- last season, finishing second in the Big Ten and 13th nationally with 1,999 all-purpose yards. His 346 all-purpose yards in the Rose Bowl rank as the No. 2 single-game total in school history, just a yard shy of Ron Dayne’s record of 347 yards.
Abbrederis ranked third nationally in punt return average at 15.8 yards, including one punt returned for a touchdown, and earned honorable mention All-America honors from SI.com.
He also averaged 24.6 yards on his 28 kickoff returns last season.
Abbrederis’ career averages for kickoff returns (25.8) and punt returns (14.1) are both school records.
"The Paul Hornung Award watch list for the upcoming season is an impressive group of players who excel at multiple positions to help their teams win, which is how I played the game," Hornung said. "It will be interesting to see which players excel during the season and emerge as the top choices of our selection committee."
The award’s selection committee, comprised of 16 national sports journalists and former college and NFL players, will narrow the field to a small group of finalists in early December. The winner will be selected in early January, following the bowl season.
Abbrederis is one of six Big Ten players named to the Hornung Award watch list, which includes a total of 49 players representing 44 schools.
Badgers on 2012 Preseason Watch Lists
• WR Jared Abbrederis: Biletnikoff Award, Paul Hornung Award
• RB Montee Ball: Maxwell Award, Doak Walker Award, Walter Camp watch list
• LB Chris Borland: Chuck Bednarik Award, Bronko Nagurski Trophy, Lombardi Award, Butkus Award
• OL Travis Frederick: Rimington Trophy, Outland Trophy, Lombardi Award
• DB Shelton Johnson: AFCA Good Works Team
• TE Jacob Pedersen: John Mackey Award
• LB Mike Taylor: Bronko Nagurski Trophy, Lombardi Award
• OL Ricky Wagner: Outland Trophy, Lombardi Award
• RB James White: Doak Walker Award