July 19, 2012
MADISON, Wis. --With a combined 3,092 yards from scrimmage and 45 touchdowns in 2011, Wisconsin’s running back duo of Montee Ball and James White have earned a place on the Doak Walker Award candidate list.
Ball and White highlight the list of Doak Walker Award candidates, an award presented annually to the nation’s top college running back.
Ball, a 2011 Heisman Trophy and Doak Walker finalist, led the nation with 2,229 yards from scrimmage (1,923 rushing, 306 receiving) in 2011. The senior running back scored at least two touchdowns in each of the first 13 games of the season on his way to tying the NCAA record with 39 touchdowns (33 rushing, 6 receiving) for the year.
White, a 2010 consensus Big Ten Freshman of the Year, finished the 2011 season with 863 yards from scrimmage (713 rushing, 150 receiving) and six touchdowns.
Together the duo helped the Badgers lead the Big Ten with 235.6 rushing yards per game, 469.9 total yards per game and 44.1 points per game. Wisconsin and TCU are the only two schools with two running backs represented on the candidate list.
Ball and White join a celebrated list of former Badgers as candidates for the Doak Walker Award. In 1999 Ron Dayne became UW’s first winner of the award after being named a finalist in 1998. Anthony Davis (2001), Brian Calhoun (2005) and P.J. Hill (2006) were semi-finalists, while John Clay was a finalist in 2010.
The field of 52 will be narrowed down on Nov. 19 when the voting committee decides finalists. A vote will held on Nov. 26 to determine the recipient. The award winner will be announced live on Dec. 6 on ESPN and an award banquet will be held in Dallas, Texas, in February 2013.
Badgers on 2012 Preseason Watch Lists
• WR Jared Abbrederis: Biletnikoff Award
• RB Montee Ball: Maxwell Award, Doak Walker Award
• LB Chris Borland: Chuck Bednarik Award, Bronko Nagurski Trophy, Lombardi Award, Butkus Award
• OL Travis Frederick: Rimington Trophy, Outland Trophy, Lombardi Award
• DB Shelton Johnson: Good Works Team®
• TE Jacob Pedersen: John Mackey Award
• LB Mike Taylor: Bronko Nagurski Trophy, Lombardi Award
• OL Ricky Wagner: Outland Trophy, Lombardi Award
• RB James White: Doak Walker Award