Final Stats |
Wisconsin at Penn State
Nov. 24, 2012
Beaver Stadium – University Park, Pa.
• The Badgers suffered their third overtime defeat in four games. The last time UW played three overtime games in a season was 2000 (going 1-2 in those games).
• UW is now 5-5 all-time in overtime games.
• Wisconsin will play for the Big Ten title next Saturday in the Big Ten Football Championship Game, squaring off against Nebraska at Lucas Oil Stadium in Indianapolis.
• The Badgers will be seeking their third-straight Big Ten championship and third consecutive appearance in the Rose Bowl. Both would be firsts in school history.
• No Big Ten team has played in three straight Rose Bowls since Michigan (1977-79).
• Wisconsin became the first team to score a touchdown against Penn State in the first quarter this season.
• Senior RB Montee Ball broke the NCAA FBS record for career touchdowns scored with a 17-yard TD run in the first quarter. It was his 79th career touchdown, passing Travis Prentice of Miami, Ohio, who scored 78 touchdowns from 1996-99.
• Ball also tied Prentice’s NCAA record for career rushing touchdowns with the 73rd rushing TD of his career.
• Ball ran for 111 yards, the 24th 100-yard rushing performance of his career, and eighth of the season.
• Freshman RB Melvin Gordon caught his first career touchdown pass, turning a short throw from Curt Phillips into a 57-yard TD pass on UW’s first possession of the game. It was Gordon’s second career reception. He had an 8-yard catch earlier this season at Nebraska.
• The 57-yard completion was the longest of Phillips’ career. His previous long was a 29-yard pass to TE Jacob Pedersen last week vs. Ohio State.
• Sophomore LB Derek Landisch made his first career start, replacing the injured Chris Borland at middle linebacker. Landisch registered a career-high 11 tackles. His previous high was five at Indiana earlier this season.
• Junior LB Ethan Armstong also registered a career-high 12 tackles. His previous career high was 10, done most recently last week vs. Ohio State.
• Senior LB Mike Taylor (11) also had double-digit tackles. It is the second time this season UW’s three starting linebackers have each had 10+ tackles in the same game. It also happened vs. Illinois (Taylor, Armstrong and Chris Borland).
• Taylor moved past Ken Criter (1966-68) for seventh on the Badgers’ all-time tackles list with 369 for his career.