Jan. 5, 2014
Final Stats |
#4 Wisconsin vs. #22 Iowa
Jan. 5, 2014
Kohl Center – Madison, Wis.
• With the win, Wisconsin is off to a 15-0 start, equaling the team’s best start in history. The Badgers posted a pair of 15-0 seasons in 1911-12 and 1913-14.
• The Badgers’ 15 straight wins is also the team’s second-longest win streak of all time. The UW record is 17 consecutive wins in the 2006-07 season.
• Wisconsin is just the fifth Big Ten team to start the season 15-0 since 2001-02. Ohio State is also 15-0 this season.
• Bo Ryan improved to 306-113 (.730) in 13 seasons at Wisconsin. Ryan is also now 689-216 (.761) during his 30 years of coaching in the college ranks.
• UW is now 146-60 (.709) in Big Ten games under Ryan, the second-best winning percentage of any coach in Big Ten history.
• The Badgers improved to 190-18 (.913) at home under Bo Ryan, including a mark of 92-11 (.893) at the Kohl Center.
• Wisconsin is 32-11 (.744) at home under Ryan against teams ranked in the AP Top 25, including five straight wins over ranked foes at the Kohl Center.
• The all-time series between Wisconsin and Iowa is now tied at 79-79. Wisconsin is 51-28 against the Hawkeyes in Madison.
• The Badgers are 16-8 vs. the Hawkeyes under Ryan.
• Trailing 35-24 at the half, Wisconsin overcame a double-digit second-half deficit to win for the first time since coming back from an 11-point halftime deficit vs. Arkansas on Nov. 24, 2012. The victory marked UW’s 11th win when trailing by double digits in the second half under Bo Ryan and the sixth such comeback against a Big Ten opponent.
• The Badgers trailed after halftime for just the 38th time in 208 home games under Ryan and scored a comeback win for the 25th time in those 38 games.
• Wisconsin opened the game shooting 1-for-13 from the field and finished the first half shooting 26.7 percent (8-for-30). The Badgers shot 52.2 percent (12-for-23) in the second half.
• The Badgers hit 15 of their last 19 free throw attempts after a pair of technical fouls on Iowa at the 11:52 mark of the second half. UW converted 8 of 9 free throws in the final 5 minutes.
• Overall, Wisconsin went 25-for-35 (.714) at the free throw line, the seventh time this season the Badgers attempted at least 25 free throws.
• UW made 10 of 22 (.455) 3-point attempts, their sixth game shooting at least 45 percent from long range this season.
• Senior Ben Brust scored a team-high 19 points, all in the second half, on 5-for-9 shooting from the field and a 6-for-6 mark at the free throw line.
• After an 0-for-9 start from the field, sophomore Sam Dekker hit a pair of key shots on back-to-back possessions. He drained a 3-pointer with 2:21 remaining to give UW a 67-63 lead and scored with a layup on the Badgers’ next possession to give UW a 69-63 lead with 1:06 to play.
• Junior Josh Gasser scored 14 points in 25 minutes, going 2-for-3 from 3-point range and 6-for-7 from the foul line.
• Junior Frank Kaminsky tallied 9 points and 4 rebounds, but also equaled his career high with 4 blocks.
• Junior Duje Dukan finished with 6 points and a career-high 7 rebounds.