Course for All Abilities (PDF)
Course Architect (PDF)
Directions to the Ridge
Golf Outings (PDF)
Interactive UW Golf Guide
2010 Clinics (PDF)
Adult Instruction (PDF)
Junior Instruction (PDF)
Private Instruction (PDF)
RESERVE TEE TIMES Online
The Golf Shop (PDF)
The W Grill Menu (PDF)
Year-Round Facility (PDF)
University Ridge by the Numbers
University Ridge 2008 Reopening
University Ridge Photo Gallery
University Ridge Golf Course|
9002 County Road PD
Madison, Wis. 53593
Designer: Robert Trent Jones, Jr.
Established: June, 1991
The University Ridge Golf Course is the official home course of the University of Wisconsin men's and women's golf teams. Located at 9002 County Road PD, Verona, Wis, University Ridge offers a spectacular view of the rolling terrain as well as 7,259 yards of championship challenge. The course features a fairly wide-open front nine followed by an undulating back nine that offers holes cut into extremely deep woods.
- Best of Madison/Gold-Golf Courses-Madison Magazine
- Best of Wisconsin Business Awards/Platinum-Corporate Report Wisconsin
- 4 Star Rating in "Best Places to Play" - Golf Digest
- #8 Top 25 Public Golf Courses-Golf Wisconsin
- #28 in Reader's Choice Awards "Top 50" Public category-GolfWorld
- Best of Wisconsin Business Awards-Platinum Award-Best Golf Course-Corporate Report
Naming the Ridge
University Ridge derived its name from the landscape features left by the last retreating glacier. The course sits on the terminal moraine, where the Wisconsin Glacier stopped, forming the backbone of the ridge that separates the land into groups of rolling hills and valleys. The natural ridge dictated course construction with the designers following the contours of the land creating a natural setting that overlooks the City of Madison.
A Course for Everyone
The par-72, 18-hole course offers something for players of every ability level. Intended for use by the general public as well as the University community, University Ridge presents a combination of challenging tactical options, natural beauty and architectural aesthetics.
Course designer Robert Trent Jones, Jr., considered to be among the worlds foremost golf course architects, had broad versatility in mind when designing the course. At the same time, he was extremely conscious of preserving the integrity of the land to bring out its natural beauty.
Construction was completed in 2008 at 585-acre University Ridge Golf Course on a $3.1 million project to extend the length of the course in order to remain competitive. Opened in 1991 with a championship distance of 6,888 yards, the course has to been lengthened to 7,259 yards to accommodate the longer hitting players and hopefully attract some major tournaments including NCAA national and regional tournaments.
The golf project, which was completed in July of 2008, includes a new 33-acre practice facility that houses a short-game practice area for the Badger golf teams; a redesign and expansion of the outdoor practice range and new tee boxes that extend the length of 14 holes. New signage that blends in with the course's surroundings was also added. In addition, construction on a new cross country course for UW's nationally ranked cross country teams to be completed in 2009.
2008 Improvements Include:
- Course rating/slope becomes 74.9/144 from the back (black) tees. From the blue tees, the new setup measures 6,610 yards (72.0/139), up from 6,429 yards (71.2/139).
- Four new tee boxes on par 3's create an additional 133 yards from back tees. The par-3 17th with a pond placed in front of the green, was increased to play 250 yards.
- Lengthened back teeing grounds on a total of 14 holes
- Expanded practice facility includes four practice greens for UW team-use only and an additional green for the public. That area will be the instructional center for the revamped University Ridge golf instruction program now administered by the UW men's and women's golf coaches with additional support from Ridge personnel.
- Signage and improvements to the Ice Age Trail (one of eight National Scenic Trails) which extends for a mile through University Ridge
The Practice Facilities
University Ridge features excellent practice facilities with a 15,000 square-foot practice green and adjoining 5,000 square-foot chipping green with a sand bunker. There are also two 9,000 square foot practice tees and four practice greens for the Badger team-use only and an additional one for the public.
The fairly wide open front nine features a variety of green grasses cutting through wild brown and white grasses that border several fairways. Also coming into play are a marshland, two ponds, a ravine and a variety of trees. The undulating back nine offers holes cut into dense woods. The course opens up again at the 16th hole for three unequalled finishing holes and a change in elevation of 182 feet from the first tee through the 18th hole.
The 225-acre tract offers a spectacular view of the rolling terrain, with deep-set woods, hills, sprawling meadows, a natural pond, and prairie. The course measures 6,888 yards from the gold (professional) tees with a par score of 72. Shorter hitters can enjoy the $5.5 million course from the forward tees at 5,005 yards. The signature hole is the 535-yard, par-five 16th hole featuring three fairways and 14 bunkers. The remainder of the course has at least two bunkers per hole, wide fairways and good-sized green.
Multiple sets of tees on each of the 18 holes vary the distance from tee to green to accommodate players of varying capabilities. An intricately devised network of bunkers, water hazards, rolling hills and natural woodlands present golfers with diverse opportunities for playing it safe or confronting more difficult challenges.
University Ridge would be pleased to host your golf outing or special event in our newly expanded clubhouse. Clubhouse seating is available for 100 guests, our hospitality tent can accommodate 150 guests and the veranda can serve 80 guests with each area overlooking our award-winning golf course.
A great way of turning a golf outing into a truly memorable event is to provide your guests with personalized merchandise. University Ridge offers a wide variety of name-brand apparel and equipment, backed by first-class service. Our top-rated course has a top-rated golf shop to match.
- We promote a quality golf experience for everyone: traditional golf attire is required for use of the golf facilities, including the practice facility and chipping and putting greens. Shirts with sleeves and a collar are required at all times. Slacks or mid-thigh length shorts are acceptable for men and women. University Ridge Golf Course reserves the right to deny access to the facilities to anyone dressed inappropriately.
- Each guest must have a set of clubs. Rental clubs are available.
- All guests should be registered in the Golf Shop at least 15 minutes prior to play.
- Practice is not permitted on the course. A professional practice facility is available for your enjoyment.
- Golf Cars:
- Walking is permitted at all times. On Friday, Saturday, Sunday and Holidays in the months of May - September a golf car fee is included in our rates until 4:30 p.m. Pull carts are allowed.
- Please observe the following golf car guidelines: keep golf cars 30 feet from greens, on paths when possible, off slopes at all times and avoid wet areas. Violators of golf car guidelines may be asked to leave the course.
- A valid driver's license is required to operate a golf car.
- All food and beverages must be purchased directly through University Ridge. For your convenience, refreshment cars equipped with drinks and snacks are available on the course.
- Each individual will be responsible for any damage they cause to University Ridge Golf Course property.
- Solicitation and or distribution of printed material is prohibited.
- In the event of lightning you will be asked to leave the course until it is safe to resume play.
Pace of Play
It is our goal to have all guests average 15 minutes per hole, completing a round in four and onehalf hours. Starters and player assistants are available to assist you. As a courtesy to all players, University Ridge personnel are authorized to remove slower players from the course. Please respect the game and honor your fellow players by maintaining a proper pace.