Camp Randall Stadium, built in 1917, is the home for Wisconsin's football team.
The current capacity (80,321) ranks among the nation's largest school-owned stadiums.
Camp Randall is located at the corner of Monroe and Regent streets on the west side
of the UW campus. (1440 Monroe Street; Phone: 608/262-1866)
Distinguished by its impressive double-deck structure, Camp Randall Stadium has
been the Badgers' facility since its opening game on Nov. 3, 1917. It has been host
to UW football games, outdoor concerts, Drum Corps International, Green Bay Packer
exhibition games, and other large public events.
Besides the field, the historic Camp Randall Stadium complex houses the athletic
department offices in Kellner Hall, the Athletic Operations Building, a team training
table, lounges, the Fetzer Center study area for student-athletes, as well as film,
training and weight rooms and a display of football memorabilia in the new football
offices located in the eastside superstructure.
The stadium is the centerpiece of Wisconsin's athletic complex. Located on the same
block on the west side of campus are the Dave McClain Athletic Facility, the state-of-the-art
indoor practice building, the Camp Randall Memorial Recreation Center (Shell), and
the Wisconsin Field House.
Crowds and Success
Wisconsin set a school record in 2004 when an average of 82,368 fans attended games
at Camp Randall Stadium. The season was sold out in advance for the first time in
2004, ad in 2005, a record 69,290 season tickets sold. UW drew a single game attendance
record of 83,069 against Minnesota on Nov. 6. Since 1972, Wisconsin has ranked among
the top 16 in the nation in attendance.
Success on the field has also been evident in Camp Randall Stadium. Approaching
the 2005 season, the Badgers have posted a 57-28-3 (.665 percent) home mark since
1990 during the Barry Alvarez era including undefeated campaigns in 1993, 1998 and
Camp Randall Stadium and its grounds had a rich history prior to its affiliation
with Wisconsin athletics.
In the days before the Civil War, the site was owned by the Wisconsin Agricultural
Society, which held its annual state fair on the grounds. When hostilities broke
out in 1861, the society gave the land to the government for a major military training
center. More than 70,000 troops attended training drills at the Camp Randall complex.
After peace was restored nationally, the land was returned to state fair property.
The fair later moved to Milwaukee, and Wisconsin's Civil War veterans urged the
legislature to purchase the land. In 1893, the state presented the site to the university
as a memorial athletic field.
Intercollegiate athletics began on campus in 1881, and football joined the scene
in 1889. The first games were played on the lower part of campus. The stadium was
built at its present site in 1913. A tragic collapse of the wooden bleachers in
1915 prompted the UW to make plans for concrete stands.
Two years later, a 10,000-seat concrete stadium was built with a grant of $15,000
from the state legislature. The rest of the money came from department revenues.
The first game played in the present Camp Randall Stadium was a thrilling 10-7 homecoming
victory over Minnesota in 1917. Capacity of the structure has increased several
times, jumping to 51,000 by 1951.
A revision of the seating arrangements in 1955 boosted the capacity to 52,788. In
1958, the running track was removed, the playing field was lowered 10 feet and capacity
was increased to 63,435. A second deck on the west side was added in 1966, raising
the capacity to 77,745. Restructuring in the student section in '94, lowered capacity
to 76,129. The renovation completed in 2005 raised the capacity to 80,321. The facility
is designed so that all seats point toward the center of the field, providing excellent
The Communications Center, which is one of the Midwest's best facilities for working
media, was built after the 1966 season and renovated in 2005. The three-level structure
includes areas for media, game personnel, department and other campus officials.
Facility improvements have been with the installation of an artificial turf playing
field in the summer of 1990 and a computerized scoreboard and message center was
added in 1992. A video replay scoreboard and new sound system were introduced in
2004, and the turf replaced with Field Turf.
College Football's Best Traditions
As voted by fans on SI.com (2012)
Wisconsin - "Jump Around"
Georgia Tech - "Ramblin Wreck"
Clemson - "Howard's Rock"
Army/Navy - Cadets and Midshipmen march
Florida - "Gator Chomp"
West Virginia - "Take Me Home Country Roads"
Tennessee - "Rocky Top"
Arkansas - "Calling the Hogs"
Camp Randall Stadium Renovation 2005
The 84-year old Camp Randall Stadium underwent a four-year renovation begun in December
of 2001. The $109.5 million renovation concluded with the opening of the 2005 football
Among the many changes included in the renovation were a new seating capacity of
80,321 (from 76,129); increased square footage to 319,000-square feet, including
84,540-square feet that underwent renovation; an east-side premium seating super
structure that includes 72 suites, 337 club seats and 590 varsity indoor seats;
and a wider third level concourse that extends around the north end to the west
side of the stadium.
The playing surface has a new FieldTurf covering, and has expanded over the former
pedestrian track providing both teams on the field with more room. Other major aspects
include construction of the five-floor Kellner Hall office building, the Athletic
Operations Building, the football offices, the McGinnis Family Athletic Ticket Office,
new visiting team lockers, the Camp Randall Media Room, and renovations and upgrades
to the press box that include an external relations area for use by other groups
Fans walking through the new Badger Alley, the former tunnel on the east side of
the stadium, will notice new flooring, and new restrooms and concession areas. Among
restroom fixtures, women's fixtures improved from 212 to 463, and men's increased
from 445 to 499; concession points of sale increased from 135 to 157; and accessible
seating improved from 99 seats to 292. To allow back-loading of the stadium, two
portals were built to provide patrons a path to their seats. A dining room for UW
team meals was also added to this area. And Bucky's Locker Room has a new merchandise
corner located near Gate 1.
The 2005 Camp Randall Stadium Renovation assures Badger fans and Athletic Department
personnel will be able to compete well into the 21st century. There is not one student-athlete
or athletic department staff member whose life has not been improved by the renovation.
Click on this link
for a PDF of the new Camp Randall seating chart.