Student-Athlete Appearances & Promotions
The name or picture of an enrolled student-athlete may not be used directly or indirectly to advertise, recommend or promote the sale or use of a commercial product or service of any kind.
Items that have been autographed by current student-athletes or coaches may not be sold, auctioned, or exchanged for value. These items are signed for fan enjoyment or to raise funds for certain pre-approved organizations.
A student-athlete may not be provided an honorarium (money or any other item) for any speaking engagement. Student-athletes may only receive necessary expenses (i.e. travel, meal) when speaking to educational or charitable groups that have received prior approval of the department.
According to NCAA Bylaw 18.104.22.168, Wisconsin student-athletes can participate in charitable/non-profit activities only under the following conditions:
- The student-athlete does not miss class;
- The student-athlete receives written approval (i.e. this form) from the Director of Athletics (or designee) before the event;
- All monies derived from the activity will go directly to the charitable/non-profit agency;
- The specific activity in which the student-athlete participates does not involve cosponsorship, advertisement, or promotion by a commercial agency;
- The student-athlete may only accept legitimate and normal expenses such as meals and travel from the institution or charitable/non-profit agency;
- The student-athlete signs this release statement prior to the activity;
- The student-athlete's name, picture, or appearance is not utilized to promote the commercial ventures of the agency.
The University of Wisconsin Department of Athletics, per NCAA Bylaw 22.214.171.124, is required to submit written approval for all student athlete participating in any charitable or nonprofit activities considered incidental to participation in intercollegiate athletics. Please contact External Relations Coordinator Kayla Gross for requests.