Buckinghams & Awards
Community Service Request Form
SOAR: Student Orientation and Registration
The SOAR program is offered for incoming freshmen and new transfer students both domestic and international. This program takes place in the summer months and again in January for mid-year entrants.
SOAR is a two day program designed to introduce the student and their parents/guests to the University of Wisconsin-Madison. Programming at SOAR is meant to introduce students to life both in and out of the classroom. Issues addressed by the SOAR staff are important in assisting students in making the transition from high school to college and the responsibilities that they will face as new freshmen.
In mid-April the admitted student-athletes will receive notification via a postcard that they are allowed to sign up for a SOAR date. They should follow the instructions given. Please remember students must be admitted, with their enrollment deposit ($100) paid or waived via a third party, to sign up for a SOAR date. All international students are required to attend their SOAR session in late August, during Welcome Week SOAR. There are no exceptions to this policy.
Events at SOAR:
- Placement Testing - All new students are required to take placement tests prior to the academic advising and enrolling in courses at SOAR. If a student athlete has already taken college level Math, English, or a foreign language (this would be most typical of transfer students) s/he would not need to take the placement test. If students have taken AP classes in Math, English or a foreign language, they should go ahead and take the placement exam. AP scores are not reported until after July 4, and once scores are evaluated, adjustments can be made to the student's registration.
- Academic Advising - through individual and small group work with faculty members, professional academic advisors and student advisors, each student is presented with the academic expectations, requirements, and the advising system at the University. Athletic department advisors will be available at SOAR to consult with student-athletes as they select and enroll in classes.
- Course Registration - after the initial advising session the students will register for courses. They will have a printed schedule by the time they leave, with a full load (at least 12 credits).
- There is also a program for parents/guests that meet at the same time as the student program. Issues addressed in this program would be health, safety, financial planning, faculty, teaching assistants, academic and social support services and campus housing.
- Housing during the SOAR program can be either off campus or on. There is a fee for the program ($100 per student and $40 per adult/parent or guest) and a charge for the on-campus housing. The Athletic Dept. can only reimburse scholarship students for the cost of one night of on-campus housing during this program. The program fee is their responsibility and is paid when they check in for day 1 of SOAR. The reimbursement of the housing costs will be done once the semester begins.
For more information, click http://www.newstudent.wisc.edu/soar/.